Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Good Advice

I got some really good advice from my mentor yesterday at my internship. She was talking about how hard it was to get a job in this line of work. Even with a Bachelors Degree and a lot of experience, you would have a hard time. She also mentioned that you have to look in the right spot. If you want to go into Marine Biology, you have to be willing to move to the coast. If you want to work with water animals, you have to move to where water animals are. Now a day, people need at least a Masters Degree and a lot of work and volunteer experience. That’s where a lot of people lose their edge. Going for a Master Degree or a PhD means more than ten years in college, and eventually you are going to realize that “Wait, I’ve been in school all of this time, I need to get a job.”Graduating from high school I will be eighteen, ten years after that, I will be almost thirty. That is the point when people get rooted to where they are (marriage, children, etc). One option many people make is going back to school to get their education degree, because you spent all of this time in college, and you can’t find a job in it, so you might as well teach what you’ve learned. What's cool about that is you can do your own research during that time and get your students to help you with the actual field research. So really what I’ve learned that I have to do next is look for schools that have the resources that will give me some sort of edge in the career field. That’s one of the things she said was the most difficult, looking around and actually finding out what you need to know from the people who have the resources and expertise to answer me fully. She even said she would look back for me into the different places that she was looking at when she was looking for a job to help me find people that I can email and/or interview. This is great, she has been a huge help.

No comments: